I have been asked numerous times about FTP programs. What FTP software do you use? Which one do your recommend? Is there a good free FTP package?
Actually, I installed Hummingbird FTP for Windows, however I use it very rarely. I use it only, if I have to transfer large files or file archives that are greater than 100 MB in size.
With smaller size files, I always use cPanel to upload files, software, or any other file transfer need.
Here are the steps I use to upload files without using FTP programs:
– Log into your cPanel account.
– From the main screen, click on your File Manager icon.
– This will take you to a browser window showing files and folders similar to windows explorer.
– Double click on your “www” or “public_html” folder icon, not the folder name link. ( These 2 folders are linked to each other, they are basically the same).
Note: If you click on the name link “www”, you will see the folder properties in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
– After clicking on Upload file(s) link, cPanel will take you to the upload files screen.
Note: If you want to upload files to another folder, you need to double click on the icon the is corresponding to that folder.
If you want to override (replace) a file you can just click on the override check.
Upload Files now by clicking on the browse button and choosing any file from the Windows dialog box.
This screen allows you to upload 12 files. If however you want to upload a lot of files, you can create an archive (.zip) file first and upload it. After uploading it, you can extract it’s contents.
I will cover this in my next post.
As always, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact me.